The Best Exercises
For 6-Pack Abs
By: Craig Ballantyne, CTT
Certified Turbulence Trainer
Men's Health expert Craig Ballantyne believes that men and women can lose their belly fat and get flat lower abs with fast fat loss workouts.
He even believes you can spot reduce and lose your tummy fat with a specific type of exercise - and no, it's not ab crunches. Plus, he knows specific abdominal exercises that can flatten your lower abs.
"The classic ab crunch is generally a waste of time because the ab crunch doesn't work the entire main ab muscle (rectus abdominis). There are other better, unique ab exercises that men and women can do to flatten their lower abs," Ballantyne advises.
"And if you want to lose belly fat, forget about doing long, slow boring cardio for fat loss," Ballantyne insists. "You'll get more results in less time in your fat burning workouts by using interval training for fat loss."
This was proven by a research study from Australia, who found that only interval training helped women lose belly fat, while doing cardio for twice as long did not!
Some of Ballantyne's favorite abdominal exercises can be done with just your bodyweight or need only a common exercise ball.
Here's a list of just a few of his favorite total body ab exercises that will help you get a flat stomach (provided you combine these exercises with interval training for fat loss):
Exercise Ball Ab Rollouts
- Kneel on a mat and place your clasped hands on the top of a medium sized ball.
- Brace your abs and slowly lean forward and roll your hands over the ball while the ball moves away from your body.
- Keep your body in a straight line and go as far as you can with perfect form.
- Contract your abs and reverse the motion to return to the upright position.
Hanging Leg Raise
- Hang from a chin-up bar using an underhand grip. Brace your abs.
- With a slight bend in your knees, curl your hips back and raise your legs up in front of you until they are parallel to the floor. Don't use momentum.
- Go slow and controlled both ways.
- Raise your body in a straight line so that your body hovers over the mat.
- Keep your back straight and your hips up. Hold your abs tight.
- Contract your abs as if someone was about to punch you in the stomach, but
Plank with Your Arms on the Ball
- Place your clasped hands on the top of a medium sized ball.
- Keep your body in a straight line from shoulders to toes and keep your abs
Plus, if you have access to a commercial gym, his favorite resistance
exercises for your abs - to help you build a set of 6-pack abs - include:
- Stand sideways beside a cable stack with your right shoulder closest to the stack.
-Attach a handle to the highest pulley position. Grasp the handle over your right shoulder with arms extended and a slight bend at the elbow.
- Your knees should be slightly bent and your hips slightly pushed back.
- Prepare for the exercise by bracing (contracting) your abdominals from top
- Without bending at the elbows any further, bring your arms down and across the body using your abs to initiate the movement.
- Focus on working your abs and obliques. Bring your hands across to your
left hip pocket and then slowly return to the start.
- Perform all reps for one side and then switch.
Kneeling Cable Ab Crunches
- Attach a rope handle to the top of a cable pulley system.
- Kneel in front of the pulley and hold the rope behind your head.
- Brace your abs, and curl your torso forward. Your arms should remain above your head during the crunch.
- Slowly return to the start position.
Do two exercises twice per week, and do intervals 3 times per week for best
Discover the 5 fat loss myths stopping you from getting flat abs at Turbulence Training where Men's Health expert Craig Ballantyne shows you how you never have to do slow boring cardio again!
About the Author
Craig Ballantyne is a Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist and writes for Men's Health, Men's Fitness, Maximum Fitness, Muscle and Fitness Hers, and Oxygen magazines. His trademarked Turbulence Training fat loss workouts have been featured multiple times in Men’s Fitness and Maximum Fitness magazines, and have helped thousands of men and women around the world lose fat, gain muscle, and get lean in less than 45 minutes three times per week. For more information on the Turbulence Training workouts that will help you burn fat without long, slow cardio sessions or fancy equipment, visit www.TurbulenceTraining.com
Download Your Exclusive
The Dark Side of Cardio... And Other Over-rated Exercise Methods.
Simply enter your name and email address below and I will immediately send you a FREE copy of my controversial report about the most common exercis myths that are sabotaging your fat loss efforts. You will also receive a FREE subscription to my weekly Turbulence Training email newsletter containing free tips to maximize your metabolism, gain muscle and achieve success with your workouts. All these gifts are yours free as a thank you for visiting my website
Boost Your Fat Burning Program Immediately with the Research-Proven, Time-Tested Turbulence Training Workouts
You can download the program within minutes and get started today with a better way to workout for fat loss. No more slow boring cardio, no more long trips to the gym. Check out the this jam-packed, downloadable Turbulence Training package:
- A 76-page e-book crammed with beginner through advanced workouts, giving you up to 26 weeks worth of fat-blasting workouts - VALUE of over $397
- An exclusive one hour MP3 audio going over every detail of the Turbulence Training workouts and fat loss philosophy - VALUE $165
When I write montly workouts for clients, each 4-week program costs $100. But in the Turbulence Training E-book, you get access to four Advanced Fat Loss Workouts, and three introductory workouts that progress you from Beginner to Advanced. That 26 week package would easily be worth more than $397 if you were a private client of mine.
Plus, if you trained with me one-on-one, you would have to schedule your appointment 3-months in advance (my training schedule is booked solid~) at $150 per session. And if you had questions about Turbulence Training (like the ones I answer in the one hour MP3 audio program), an hour phone consultation would cost you $165. But instead, you get this in-depth audio interrogation for FREE as part of the Turbulence Training package.
- Total Value of the Package is over $550. But you'll pay only $39.95.
BUT WAIT, THERE’S EVEN MORE!
1) Turbulence Training Fat Loss Nutrition Guidelines, by Dr. Chris Mohr, Ph.D.
(Retail Value = $24.99)
You need to eat right to lose fat, and this nutrition guideline shows men and women exactly which foods to choose, how often to eat, how much protein to get, and a shocking list of foods you MUST avoid to lose fat and improve your health. Dr. Chris Mohr, Ph.D., R.D., is one of the most respected Registered Dieticians in America, appearing on the Montel Williams Show, writing for Men's Health, Weight Watchers, and Prevention magazines.
2) Turbulence Training DB-BW Fustion Fat Loss 8-Week Program
(Retail Value = $24.99)
By combining a dumbbell exercise and a bodyweight exercise, you'll be able to do these Turbulence Training workouts even faster than ever before. Just wait till you try these workouts. You'll be blown away by the effectiveness of the dumbbell-bodyweight superset combinations. So fast, so simple, yet so efficient at burning fat.
3) Turbulence Training for Women 4-Week Program
(Retail Value = $29.99)
With both beginner and advanced versions, this program serves as a great add-on to the regular Turbulence Training program that hundreds of women have already used to lose fat and sculpt their bodies. All of these workouts can be done at home with a bench, a ball, dumbbells, and your own bodyweight.
4) Turbulence Training for Muscle 8-Week Program
(Retail Value = $24.99)
Burn fat, then build the muscle. Don't get caught without having a beach body. Once you lose all the fat you need, switch to this advanced muscle-building program to get the biceps, chest, and calves that will give you a "stand-out in the crowd" physique.
5) Turbulence Training Original 4-Week Bodyweight Program
(Retail Value = $19.99)
Sculpt your body without the need for any fancy equipment or even a set of dumbbells. This 4-week program contains beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels so that no matter what your fitness level, you can get a complete Turbulence Training work anytime, anyplace. Take this one when you travel for work or holidays, and you won't come home with any extra "baggage".
6) Turbulence Training 30-Days to Advanced Fat Loss Program
(Retail Value = $19.99)
Just what the title says. I designed this program for a personal trainer that I was training (Yep, I'm considered a trainer to the trainers) and we needed to get maximum results in only 30 days. By choosing the exercises that gave him the most results in the least amount of time, he was able to impress his clients (and get more clients) thanks to his TT fat loss.
7) Turbulence Training Advanced Fusion Fat Loss 4-Week Program
(Retail Value = $24.99)
The most challenging TT workout to date. This 4-week program combines advanced athletic moves with dumbbell exercises AND bodyweight exercises into one of the most intense bodysculpting workouts I've ever designed. Once you are finished with all of the Turbulence Training workouts, use this workout to build the body of your dreams in as little time as possible.
||WOMEN: Click here to discover the truth about cardio for fat loss, and why the two components of short, burst exercise workouts have been scientifically proven to better for fat loss and losing your belly fat.
MEN: Click here to learn about the short workouts you can do to build muscle and burn fat at the same time, all while getting in and out of the gym in under 45 minutes only 3 times per week, so that you can get on to more important things in your life.